Certificate in German Conversation and Culture
Love language and culture? A departmental Certificate in German Conversation and Culture can be a valuable addition to nearly any degree, opening doors in the U.S. and internationally. Develop applicable skills that last a lifetime.
Certificate Total Curriculum Requirements - 15 hours
· GER 101 and 102 (or equivalent) - 6 hours
· FCC 210 or 222; GER 201 and 202 – 9 hours
A grade of “C” or higher is required in each course for credit toward the certificate.
GER 101 through 202 courses fulfill Pre-College Curriculum requirements and General Education Element 6. FCC 210 / 222 fulfill General Education Element 3B.
Retro-credit recognizes successful previous study of a foreign language and encourages students to start their language study at Eastern at the highest level appropriate for them.
· If you had 2 years of High School German studies, or equivalent, with good grades, you should consider starting at the 102 level. Start at the 102 level and make an "A", you get three (3) extra hours for 101.
· If you had 3 or more years of High School German studies, or equivalent, you should consider starting at the 201 level. Start at the 201 level, make an "A" or "B", you get six (6) extra hours for 101/102.
· If you had 4 or more years of High School German studies, or equivalent, with good grades you should consider starting at the 202 level. Start at the 202 level, make an "A" or "B", get six (9) extra hours for 101/102/201.
GER 101 & 102 are not open to native speakers of German. Native and heritage speakers should contact the Department Chair for placement options. Please consult with your language advisor to clarify what level you should start at or if you have any additional questions.
Students in German Studies program are eligible to apply for the following scholarships:
· The LCAS Language & Cultural Studies Dr. Ursel Doris Boyd and Freida Weidemann German Study Abroad Scholarship
· The LCAS Language & Cultural Studies Leslie Parrish Memorial Scholarship for Study Abroad